[Ansteorra] tagging newcomers

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 19 14:40:40 PST 2010

Fiona wrote:
> What if we created some sort of discrete favor of some sort, like a
> ribbon or something that would attach to the belt or dress or
> something, that we could keep a look out and know they were new.

I think obvious is better than discreet, in this situation.  What's
the point of having a, "I'm new, be sure you don't use too many
verbal shortcuts or assume I know the people/routines/patterns those
who've been around a while all know," symbol for newcomers to wear if
the only people who'll see them are those who go looking for it?

The usual problem is analogous to one we see on mailing lists all the
time.  "It's at the Georgetown site," "Ask Claire," and "same rules
as always," all have their face-to-face (and even non-verbal)
equivalents.  If a newcomer is wearing a checky sash or something
equally easy to identify at a glance, it's much more likely that
bystanders will volunteer to clarify what's going on than if she's
got an unobtrusive little length of ribbon hung on her belt.
SCAdians tend to deck themselves out with so many tokens, favors,
bits of award insignia, and random pieces of autobiographical flotsam
and jetsam that I, for one, almost never pay any attention to any of
it.  It's quite unlikely that I'd inspect anyone I encountered at an
event closely enough to notice that the scrap of ribbon at her waist
was the particular shade of blue used to denote newness.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>