[Ansteorra] newcomer tags

Alexandra Shahan acshahan at att.net
Sat Feb 20 07:22:51 PST 2010

Dore suggested something like a badge or insignia that could be reused.

Just my thoughts from a practical standpoint :

reuseable is great, but in reality: don't count on it. Very few will likely get returned to be reused.

cast or crafted tokens:
 Few have the skill, time, materials to craft many insignia type token on a regular basis. (having made some, it is not a task lightly undertaken). Then they would have to be distributed to all events and be available everywhere.

How often do they put out the call to artisans at events for needed insignia? Isn't that always sort of an ongoing thing - seems like thr are never enough on hand? I suspect adding one more to the pot would be an even bigger burden.

Fabric sashes:
lots of  people sew or could sew. Fabric sashes are easily copied with few supplies - a pair scissors, thread, a sewing machine (though even that might not be neccesary). Practically anyone could make them and quickly from simple directions or pictures posted on the kingdom website or distributed by email. Consistency in recognition but not so much in execution. Plenty of leeway for working with available materials quickly. And easily discernable at a distance, don't have to be up close and personal to see them or miss them under some other part of garb, or long hair, or a bag carried over the shoulder (or child cradled on shoulder). Also not being an item that is made of a hard material, a fabric sash could be worn by the youngest child with no fear of losing it or having it be eaten (seriously).

My thought was to keep it simple, easily recognizeable and possible to execute the night before an event (am told it is not a real SCA event if you are not still sewing the night before).

And being a sash that some information could be included on (like how many events you have attended) would help newbies and old timers guage how asssimilated a person is and a point from which to start a conversation. "XXX You were at 30 year? How did you like your first event? What was your favorite thing? Are you finding your way around today?" or " I see you have attended four big events. What would like to know more about today?"

so again, my 2cents for the day,

Alex NottClaire