[Ansteorra] Newbie Status

Charles of Portsmouth sca_anthonyowen at live.com
Mon Feb 22 01:01:19 PST 2010

Greetings All,

 Although Willow's comparison of the yellow star was to the extreme I feel
that it was not that far off. We have to remember what it was like when we
were the new kids in school. Being a new comer to the SCA is a lot like
being the new kid at school. If you were the new kid at school and they made
you ware a sign/symbol that stated that you were the new kid you would have
never wanted to go back due to the shame and humiliation you would endure.

 I myself have been around the SCA for about 14 years but have not played
that much until recently so in some aspects I am one of the new guys. On top
of being interested in the life during the Medieval times Some Like myself
are interested in joining is due to the way we treat other as family;
Unfortunately we do not treat new comers as such so they get discouraged and
never want to come back because they feel that they will never be able to
prove themselves. I have had this feeling on many occasions, but I am one of
the stubborn ones that never gives up.

" It seams that if no one knows you then they will not talk to you and, you
have to be the one to go to them." " It is hard to get into things due to
the fact that no one wants to talk or help you if they do not know you."

This was stated by a new member when asked how theyfelt about the SCA after
being to some events.

Although most members are helpful and only want to see people grow inside
the SCA like it should be, a few look down on you if you are not
knowledgeable in the interworking of the SCA. We sometimes forget that we
once knew nothing, and were the new guys/gals.

We as senior members have a responsibility not only to the new guys/gals to
all in the SCA to help, encourage, and educate one another.

So my thoughts on what we should do to make the new people feel as if they
belong is to treat everyone the same. Do not hold judgment on one another.
We all enjoy what we do from the first time we find out about the SCA to the
day we die. If this was not the case then we would not be here. So next time
you find someone that is new or just might not know everything there is to
know about the SCA help them out by educating them on such matters, and
encourage them to keep on their quest while in the SCA.

"We are only as ignorant as the those who teach us."

Charles of Portsmouth