[Ansteorra] Newbie Status

Charles of Portsmouth sca_anthonyowen at live.com
Mon Feb 22 05:37:21 PST 2010

Coblaith,

First let me say that everything is left up to interpretation.

    Lets be realistic here for just a moment. Is this going to be something
that is going to be utilized. Probably not. The reason for my "Opinion" on
this is the same that I stated before. If you were that New kid would you
wear the emblem? 9 times out of 10 no because you want to be treated as a
equal

I will clarify some things that I stated in my post.

On the statement of people being treated differently because they are new
and have no idea how things work is: New person addresses someone of
nobility as they would address someone not being of nobility because they
know no different. No one pulls them to the side and tells them what they
did was wrong, no one explains to them why what they did was wrong, or how
they should have addressed that person. This happens more than most would
like to admit. This is just something that is Expected to be known. Another
example is when a new person starts asking questions about why things are
done a certain way, how people earn titles that they in no way could earn in
their first few months, or why they have to address certain people a certain
way. People tend to get agitated at the questions because they feel that if
the person is going to play they should do their own research on how we do
things. A comment I have heard after the person has walked away is "Don't we
have a newcomers guide?"

This is when opinions are formed. Remember first Impression is everything.

A lot of the times these things are over looked or not noticed because the
person being affected never speaks up.

What I mean by  treating everyone the same is not so literal as it could
have been taken. If I know someone knows the information that I am speaking
about then I will hold my conversations as such. If I have questions if
someone knows about the topic I am speaking of I will ask them if they have
any knowledge of the topic and explain if I need to. I will not jump to the
conclusion because I have seen them around a few times or never seen them
around at all that they know or not know what I am talking about. That is
basic communication skills. I have no idea what anyone knows and it is my
responsibility to obtain that information by asking questions if I am to
include someone into my conversations.

By treating everyone the same I mean show the newcomers the same respect and
dignity that you would show a person of high nobility. For one day they may
a person of high nobility.

Everyone has an opinion, everyone has an  interpretation of what is and what
is not, and everyone has a need to be respected.  Remember the "Golden Rule"
that is what I am saying.

We as senior members have a responsibility not only to the new guys/gals but
all in the SCA to help, encourage, and educate one another. Not only is it
our responsibility to do such it is also our duty to be proactive in doing
so. It is not the students job to seek help it is up to the teachers to
provide the help.

Charles of Portsmouth

"We are only as ignorant as the those who teach us."