[Ansteorra] A few quick obvious points

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 22 09:18:53 PST 2010

A basket of big white sashes with a sign saying 'Newcomers' on it sitting at the gate would be pretty hard to miss. The only people who wouldn't see them would be a few kids and spouses, who had someone else sign in for them. I've worked gate enough time to say that the amount of people who don't sign in for themselves is pretty small.

Even if the above were not true... At some point, all symbols were unknown. How do you know that a white belt or a red belt means knight and squire? How do you know that the brass hat of more than a certain width means nobility? And so on... This symbol might not be 100% helpful at first, but less than 100% helpful is still better than 0% helpful because it's not available.

I think that we should do this. We should make these things, and have them available at every event for one year, and then ask for feedback.  If it doesn't work, then we've all learned something new, haven't we? I mean, how can it possibly hurt to try? Worst case scenario: We make a bunch of sashes that sit in baskets for a year, and nobody uses them. Best case scenario: Newcomers feel more welcome and less lost.

So what we need to know at this point is:

Are we going to give it a try?

If so, what is the symbol going to be?

When should we attempt to deploy this?

As I've stated before, I'm perfectly willing to make quite a few of these badges/symbols for the effort.

-Rose the Obnoxious