[Ansteorra] Marking your property

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Feb 22 11:24:52 PST 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:
> In response several stronger-spirited members BEGAN wearing black
> belts with red stripes.
> Some of us still do.

Herveus d'Ormonde registered the heraldic badge
     (Fieldless) A belt gules.
(a plain red belt).  A heraldic registration is a depiction of the
thing, not the thing itself.  In
<http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Rec/rec.org.sca/2005-12/msg00299.html>,
though, he wrote

     Yes, folks, if you see someone wearing as a medallion type thingy
     a red belt in a circular form (as the order of the garter, or a
     Scottish clan badge with strap and buckle), they are claiming to
     be my man/woman. Likewise, a yellow one is an implicit claim to
     bear an honor from the Barony of Ponte Alto. These have, of
     course, nothing at all to do with the wearing of a belt of these
     colors as an accessory to clothing. ...

     I even granted permission to bear my red belt badge to someone in
     Ansteorra who got bitched out by someone with a brass hat for
     wearing a ruddy belt with her clothes. ...

I think he gave general permission for anyone to wear his badge and
claim to be his retainer, but I'm not sure, so check with him.

Daniel Lindonium
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com