[Ansteorra] Helping Newbies -- the crucial step

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 22 12:09:30 PST 2010

The single most helpful thing we could do to help newbies get through their first event is to tell them this:

"The SCA looks like a RenFaire, but is in some ways the exact opposite.  RenFaires exist to entertain the visitors.  The people in costume always have time to stop and talk to you, or perform for you, because that's the only reason they are there.  We are an activities-driven co-op.  We exist to do stuff with each other.  We hope you enjoy it, and we'll tell you about it, and help you learn to do it, but you are not the only reason we do it.  We do it because we love it.  We aren't performing for outsiders; we're playing.  We'd like to teach you to play with us, too.  So some of us will walk on past and ignore you; that's normal.  We have work to do, and it isn't all about you.  We're not looking outsiders to perform for; we're looking for new friends to play with."

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin