[Ansteorra] Voluntary taggingMessage

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 13:30:14 PST 2010

At 02:54 PM 2/23/2010, you wrote:

>Runa said:
> > I know this is a serious but yet a little
> > funny discussion. But all of the sudden
> > the title "Voluntary tagging" gave a
> > vision (and those who know me have no
> > doubts that my brain is twisted) of
> > cattle in a line, holding an ear out to
> > have a tag punched into it.
>
>No, no, no! You leg-tag Pelicans. Ear-tags go on Lions. But
>remember, Lions may bite when tagged!

Humph.

>  In my experience, the people who run up to newcomers and say in
> outrage, "REMOVE THAT {insert color here} BELT! That's reserved
> only for {insert name of order}"... are invariably fairly new themselves.

I saw it happen once. This was way back in the Dark Ages; a fellow
showed up at an event wearing a broad white sash (with, if you looked
closely, gold threads shot through it) *and* a white baldric (which,
if you looked closely, was slightly off-white, he'd "dyed" it with
tea, which he claimed was a period technique.)

An MSCA and a KSCA came up to me and started fussing because "one of
my swashbucklers" was infringing on their symbols. I explained that I
wasn't his daddy, and I wasn't the one who got him dressed, and if
they had a problem, they needed to talk to *him*, not me.

The fellow in question had been around long enough to know better; I
suspect that he did it deliberately, just to tweak the Knights and
Masters. He was that sort of person.

Far more often, I've seen newcomers being gently told that that
particular belt or sash might not be the best color-choice.

         -Tivar Moondragon