[Ansteorra] Voluntary tagging

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 11:54:21 PST 2010

Samantha Smith <sasmith0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> James Crouchet <james at crouchet.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, here is a suggestion for the heralds among us:
>>
>> http://savinius.org/pics/newcomer1.png
>>
>> Yes, it is a joke, not a serious suggestion.

Works for me: I snorted with a laugh.

> There's probably a horrible pun in there somewhere that escapes
> me. I am not among the elite herald dorks -- er, aficionados

[glare]

> -- out there. How would that be blazoned, then?

Sable, a key reversed Or, in chief a label argent.

A label, the thing on top that looks like an overpass, roughly (in a
fixed-width font)

   ===========
  /_\  /_\  /_\

was often used as the mark of the eldest son.  And a key is the charge
the badge of the hospitaler (though in that case, it's a green
background with the key vertical and the wards at the bottom pointing
to the viewer's right).  So "I'm not the hospitaler, but I'm a close
relative".

To descend into seriousness, sometimes a label was used alone as a
charge, so as a way to mark newcomers, it's no bad idea.

Daniel "do you put a label on newcomers?" "yes" "tell me what it is"
"the label" "yeah?" "certainly" "what do you mean?  tell me the label"
"I just did" de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com