[Ansteorra] paper selection

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 12 20:19:31 PST 2010

I've seen this link before (and have it bookmarked in fact).  The first two images (Image 00007 and 00008) show the arms of Henry VIII and the marital coats of his first six wives.  Two of these marital coats have the wives impalement crossed with an X - Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard, both of whom were executed.

The other one you noted is the arms of Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset (Fourth Creation), who was executed in 1552.
I found another one that is crossed out - the Duke of Norfolk.  This one could very well be Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk (Third Creation), who was imprisoned, stripped of his title, and due to be executed, by Henry VIII in 1547.  He was later released and restored as Duke in 1553.

There's two more arms crossed out on the same page as Norfolk, but I can't make out the names: http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001647/images/index.html?id=00001647&fip=99.2.46.106&no=9&seite=16

Spoiler to my theory...  The arms of the Earl of Warenne (Surrey) on this page: http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/bsb00001647/images/index.html?id=00001647&fip=99.2.46.106&no=10&seite=17 are not crossed out.  During Henry's reign, the Earl of Surrey was also the Duke of Norfolk, or his son, Henry Howard, who was styled as the Earl of Surrey.  Henry Howard was executed by Henry VIII.

That's about as close as I can get to a theory on why some of the arms are crossed out. :)

Alden Drake
(Who has spent some fun time charting how the four quarters came together in the arms of the Duke of Norfolk - from Howard, Brotherton, Surrey, and FitzAlan)