[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Feb 18 09:52:33 PST 2010

ay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com>  wrote:
>  >Maybe a coupon for free admittance that clearly states $5 per person non-member fee still applies.
>
>  Except that it doesn't.Last time I attended the treasurer class (which was a few years ago), the non-member surcharge only applied to full site fees.It didn't apply to any discounted category (like children or champions).If we had a discount or coupon for their first three events, I don't think the NMS would apply.
>
>  But before you set this up for your event, check with somebody who is current on the financial regs.
>
>  (At one point I suggested charging $10.01 for Robin of Gilwell, and $10 for everyone else, and there's no NMS.That would be legal, and it would work -- once.Then the rules would change to prevent it.The BoD isn't stupid.)

OK, please realize that yes this was the way it had been taught at one point, but that it was and is a mistake.  The rules for how the NMS is applied have not been changed since they started, but our understanding of what exactly they are saying has.  In this case I am afraid your remembering correctly how it is taught, but that you are incorrect in how it is supposed to be applied.  Hopefully that was not convoluted past readability.

Here is how it gets applied.

1.  All adults that pay a fee of any sort are subject to NMS if they do not have proof of membership.  If they pay a penny, dollar or $30 it does not matter.  NMS is due if they do not have proof of membership.  Please note that it is still possible to be a member and have to pay if you do not have proof with you.

2.  If they are comped they do not pay a NMS.  Basically we don't surcharge nothing.

3.  If a minor gets a discount of any amount then they are _NOT_ subject to the NMS. This is only for minors.

4.  Any minor that pays a _full_ adult site fee is also subject to a NMS.  What this means is if the price break is say 5 and under free, 6-12 $10, 13 and up $12, then anyone 13 and up are subject to NMS).  So lesson learned is if you do not want that teenager to get stuck with a NMS, set your site fee to break at 18 and up to be the final price.

So sorry Robin.  $10.01 for you and $10 for everyone else does not work.  One thing I would point out, and this is critical, local groups can not waive or discount the NMS.  So if they get a reduction of $5 becasue they are new, then that is off the site fee.  The full $5 NMS is still due to corporate.

Now if the site fee is only $5 and they get a $5 discount then they fall in the category of number 2 above and no NMS would be due becasue they do not pay any money.

Hopefully this is clear.  It is clear to me, but I wrote it.

Alasdair