[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 18 14:37:54 PST 2010

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Lisa Sawyer <ysabeau.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to finance the Society as a whole otherwise it will go away
> and then we lose our infrastructure.  It is a reality.

If the SCA Inc. went away tomorrow, the people of Ansteorra would
still have their personal stuff [1] and their attitudes.  We'd still
hold events just fine. [2] If Ansteorrans lost interest, the Dream
would die here -- any Dream -- even if the SCA Inc. coffers were
stuffed with gold.

At heart, the "reality" is the people, the groups, Ansteorra,
all that which we play with.

Maybe it's my misperception that people seem to be considering SCA
Inc. to be the be-all, end-all, most important part -- or even the
only part.  The SCA Inc. is a tool to support anachronistic society,
and like any other tool, should be evaluated, criticized, praised,
strengthened, weakened, modified, or even discarded according to its
usefulness.

Dannet de Lincoln

[1] I specify "personal stuff" because branch bank accounts and
property is all owned by "SCA Inc.". and depending on how "went away"
happened, they might not be accessable.  Yes, the group pavillion you
did fundraising to buy, for example, is owned 1800 miles away, and
they can take it away when they like.  Problem void in Lochac,
Drachenwald, and possibly Illinois.

[2] Under the aegis of Ansteorra Inc., assuming that the kingdom has
kept alive the corporate registration from 1994.  If not, we'd
probably just "go naked" insurance- and corporation-wise until people
arranged for a new corporation, just like in the early days of the
SCA.

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com