[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 18 20:01:47 PST 2010

Lisa Sawyer <ysabeau.lists at gmail.com>:
> Someone just suggested another way of doing it that makes sense to
> me and makes it appear that you are being rewarded for being a
> member rather than punished for not being a member.
>
> We could have two fee structures, one for non-members and one for
> members.  If you are a member, you get a $5 discount.

If there are two identical ways of looking at a situation with the
same result, then it hardly matters which way you look at it.
I can blazon a "griffin segreant" or a "griffin rampant", whichever
I like.  I can do electromagnetics by thinking of it either as
positive charges going that way ------>  or else
negative charges going this way <------

So let me recast the corporate NMS policy,
<http://www.sca.org/BOD/announcements/nms.html>, in terms of member
discounts.  Assume the (proposed?) incoming $5 NMS.

* An event must forward $5 per attendee to the Corporation, except as
  otherwise provided.

* An event cannot charge a site fee between $0.01 and $5.00 inclusive.

* An event that charges someone $0 does not forward $5 for them to the
  corporation.

* An event cannot provide a member discount for a minor who does not
  pay the full adult fee, but $5 is not sent to the corporation for
  them, even though they got no member discount.

It took a lot of thought to get this restatement correct, and I'm
still not sure I got it right.

Does that make the slightest bit of sense, especially the last one?

No.

It really is a Non-Member Surcharge.

Danyll de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com