[Ansteorra] Fee Increase and other Business...

Robert Fitzmorgan fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:54:19 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair <
donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote:

> I really fail to see the difference between a non-member surcharge, and a
> member discount.  Either way, it's $5 I don't have to pay if I'm a member,
> or that I do have to pay if I'm a non-member.  The only difference I see is
> a matter of semantics in the same vein as a glass that is half empty or half
> full.  There's the same amount of liquid either way.

1.  Because truth matters and the truth is that we are charging extra for
non-members, not giving a discount to members.
2.  Because the two statements are not equivalent.  A non-member surcharge
carries the implication that the standard is membership, and if you are not
a member then there is an extra charge.  A member discount carries the
implication that the standard is non-membership but we give a discount to
members.  Emotionally the statements are not the same.  If they were we
wouldn't be arguing about it.

> As to why it makes a difference to me is purely a matter of perception to
> our new members who are just trying us out.  One phrasing has more positive
> connotations, the other has more negative connotations.  Given that the same
> money is collected, the same way, from the same people.  I would prefer to
> use a phrase that may be more welcoming to new people.
>
> The question can also be asked, what harm is there calling it a member
> discount?  I don't have to like NMS (in fact I don't), but since I can't
> avoid it, I would still rather use the most inviting terminology I can
> towards newcomers.

3.  The corporation has chosen to charge non-members extra to attend an
event.  We have chosen to go along with them on this.  This says something
about the corporation and about us, about what kind of organization we are.
Calling the NMS something that it isn't, feels like attempting to mislead
our new people about what kind of group we are.  It doesn't seem quite
right.  We are an organization that requires people to either purchase a
membership or else be charged extra if they attend events.  That's part of
who we are, and people considering joining us have a right to know that.
4.  Words are symbols that stand for something else, a thing, an action or
an idea.  Many people believe that if you change the symbols, that you also
change the thing that the symbols represent.  We used to call this magic.
These days we call it Political Correctness.  It doesn't actually work.

> Baron Donnchadh

Robert Fitzmorgan
--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we
do not dare that they are difficult.

Fitzmorgan at gmail.com
AIM: fitzmorgan
Yahoo! ID:   robert_fitzmorgan