[Ansteorra] Starting a new thread regarding the demo aspect, and gaining new members - a "Foreign" viewpoint

Tega Albert montega2 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 11:15:28 PST 2010

Tulsa has also started a Ren Faire as well. It is in its infancy but will be
getting bigger. Northkeep has already had one demo and has three others
lined up for the year so far. The thing about certain demos, such as
elementary schools is that often the info doesn't get back home to mom and
dad. I tried pamphlets one year and saw plenty of them on the ground before
we left. This year I have a new angle. I got little coin charms with Queen E
on them... They were cheap, metal, and cool looking. The idea is to run a
string through them so the kids can wear them like a necklace. This is a lot
more likely to make it home so that it prompts parents to ask and the kids
to tell about their day.

 It really is time to take a proactive approach to attracting and
maintaining members. It doesn't take that much effort. One person stated
that it is all thrown to the Hospitaler and that is true sometimes. I have a
very strong belief that whoever takes the position should take it VERY
seriously and that progress should be made as a result of someone holding
that office. I am lucky in the respect that lots of people in our barony are
very welcoming and help me out by greeting newbies and lending a hand. This
last practice a newcomer said to me "You mean to tell me there are THAT many
people doing this?? Why doesn't anyone know about it?" Well, she has a
point. WHY don't they? As far as I am concerned, this is the most fun I have
ever had as an adult and I wanna tell people about it. So some goals this
year are lots of demos, Grub N Garb, media involvement and so forth.

 I really encourage all of you to ask yourselves what you can do. Whether it
is go up and talk to someone new, or spreading the word mundanely. This is a
positive thing and it can only get better!

Montega Blackdragon
Hospitaler of Northkeep