[Ansteorra] Etc. Re: Fee Increase and other Business...

L T ldeerslayer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 14:04:22 PST 2010

As one who has chosen to not renew my membership for 3ish years...

I don't mind the NMS surcharge.

It really isn't that big a deal.

Many organizations either require you to be a member of an organization to attend an event or charge substantially extra ($25 or more per person) to attend. So 3/5/or9 extra dollars isn't that big a deal.

As one who has worked on with other not-for-profit organizations to find sites to camp/meet/etc...Most sites require some kind of insurance...and it's getting harder and harder to find reasonable per event or small group insurance. It usually ends up about $5 to $10 per person on top of other event fees dependent on the expected crowd.

I'm with the people who say...just call a spade a spade and get over it...
you do more damage to the newcomers by quibbling about "language" than by the existence of the "surcharge."

In reference to getting newcomers and keeping them...

I've seen more people leave the SCA or not even want to get involved in it because of pockets of drama and toxic people that are allowed to form and stay.

To keep good, reliable new people...make sure your group is healthy...make sure you personally a healthy life balance and are contributing to the good of the group and not making it toxic...

Have high standards...and do your best to live up to them yourself...

and if you find that it is making you miserable...for any reason... think about a hiatus...so that you can re-calibrate your life and not become one of those people who spends their whole time in the SCA bitching, whining, and moaning or one of those that feels that they have to manipulate people or situations to make things "right" all the time...

been there, tore the T-shirt
left the SCA...and now visit occaisionally

L DeerSlayer, OP