[Ansteorra] Newbie Status

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Feb 21 21:35:33 PST 2010

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Sher M <runa.herd at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Who would decide when the newbie quit wearing the sash?

Or other token.

> If left up to some people it would be years.  There are a lot of
> traditions to learn and someone who doesn't play that often could
> still be wearing a newbie sash 5 years down the line.

Or vice versa.  I rememebr that Lasair niiii Fhionnualann asked me to
herald her into court for her Laurelling.  She gave me her list of
awards, and I was staring at it blankly wondering what the relative
precedence was, though I'd been in Ansteorra several years and my
first SCA event was some 15 years gone.  A fellow I knew had been in
like a year saw me, asked what was up, and ordered them in precedence
order.  I asked how the heck he knew, and he replied "I go to events
with Edwin and Bronwyn [both of whom joined in A.S. Dirt], and on long
car rides there's not a lot to talk about, so I ask about awards, and
history, and customs, and stuff."

If someone doesn't want to wear a 'splain-it-to-me token at all,
I don't see a problem with that.  If they want to wear it for the two
events they go to in each of five years, ditto.

Dannet de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com