[Ansteorra] Newcomers

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Feb 22 14:44:52 PST 2010

I like that idea. We used to include many people in the hostipalers. The local officer  would have as his/hers deputies the ex hostipaliers and any individual that wanted to help. The local officers would have meetings and talk over the proper things to say and we would make a point of introducing ourselves to anyone who we didn't know and ask if they needed any help. That way we worked with anyone who needed info.
 If we found a newcomer we would introduce the to other people who have agreed to be an resource for newcomers.  That was how the mentor system worked in the old days. We would link the new person with as many people as we could and keep doing it until we found them a niche and some people they liked to learn from. It wasn't very structured, We believed in organic interaction. But it was planned. At that time we would keep in contact with them off and on and made sure I knew that classes were being held and made sure they knew where and when activities were going on.
Early Ansteorra believed that one of the strengths of the SCA was it involved human interaction and people joined for Social interaction. We also knew that lots of us had been loners in our youth and often had problems interacting with people. So we did a lot of ice breakers.
Willow de Wisp