[Ansteorra] Voluntary taggingMessage

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 23 15:13:31 PST 2010

> I wish we could stamp out the custom of color-coded belts
> for squires, apprentices, and proteges, because those are
> not ranks, it is not a period practice, and as we all know,
> it leads to restricted wardrobe choices for everyone
> else.
> ::GUNNVOR::

I've supported many hard working people, but I've never taken a protege (given a yellow belt to someone) for the very reason that I do not have a period model to follow. I well understood the concept of becoming a squire to a knight, so the SCA trappings of the tradition didn't bother me - even if the red belt was a horrible choice for my wardrobe. I even understood the concept of becoming an apprentice to an artisan because you wanted to learn art from that teacher. Those two venues work for me in a period sense (though thankfully my own laurel never wanted me to learn how to be a court jester).

To this day I can't reconcile a period model for medieval "masters of service" much less how they took and trained people to serve.  If anyone has any examples I'd be curious to hear about them.