[Ansteorra] Voluntary tagging

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 12:42:29 PST 2010

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, James Crouchet <james at crouchet.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>> To descend into seriousness, sometimes a label was used alone as a
>> charge, so as a way to mark newcomers, it's no bad idea.
>

> So like this
>
> http://savinius.org/pics/newcomer2.png
>
> or this
>
> http://savinius.org/pics/newcomer3.png
>
> Not bad.

Better to go

     (Fieldless) A label argent.

because
- period badges were fieldless, with maybe a handful of exceptions.
   For example, many were metal tokens that you could pin on your hat
   or on your clothes.
- you can put it on any background you like
- you get a free difference against anything else registered

On the other hand, I don't know whether heraldic charges were used as
badges in period.  I'll ask.

> Can it be passed heraldicly?

Only a quick glance for this reply.  There may be other conflicts.

For a white label, you'd need Seamus Ruadh to sign a letter of
permission to conflict (Gules ermined Or, a label argent).  No Google
hits for him being active, so you'd have to ask in An Tir or
elsewhere.  White label with black background: you'd need a second
LoPtC, from Stephan of Bellatrix (Sable, a label and a bordure
embattled argent).

Gold label: sorry, Valentino da Siena already has it.  (I suspect that
dovetailing is not a difference.)

Divided tincture: I don't know how well it would show up in practice.

Charged labels are known from period too, and adding charges gives an
extra difference.  Yellow and red would show up best from a distance.

Daniel Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com