[Ansteorra] Helm strapping

Dave W wiselaw at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 08:45:49 PST 2010

If the helm is pivoting at all, then the padding needs to be adjusted to
take up the voids currently in place.  When padding a helm, the less the
chin strap has to do, the better off you are.  Play with the padding a bit
till the helm fits snugly without using the chin strap at all, then add the
strap as a safety measure.  If you can't get the helm to fit snugly after
adjusting the padding, you may just have to start with a better fitting
helm...
As for the padding, I usually go with a liner made out of linen laid into
the helm.  It is made of two layers of linen sewn together to form tubes,
which are then stuffed with cotton batting.  By adjusting the level of
stuffing you can shape it.  For most helms, the top will be pie shaped
wedges to fill in the top curves.
Good luck,
Alexis