[Ansteorra] Warning doubleknit found on shelves

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Tue Jan 12 23:08:54 PST 2010

my friend Elizabeth just wrote me and told me she just found some "new" double knit fabric at a Handocks in OK.
Some of you don't even know what double knit is. It was made of synthetic fiber and used a double stitch like the t-shirts material single stitch. It was everywhere in the the 60's and 70's and it was the bane of the SCA.
Back then I was the Queen of the single knit and double knit fabrics. Maybe that is why it took me 12 years to get my  Laurel. My only saving gave was I looked for fabrics that looked period so I didn't quite make the worst mistakes. But if you want to see an horrid costume look at my Aten coronation single knit dress.
Once we got an handle on how bad this stuff was we tired to wipe it out and I think we did it by making everyone scared of the word polyester. Of course the real problem with the material was not that it was made from polyester but that it was a techno weaving form. If it had been made of wool, or silk  it would had been just as bad.
I want you all to be careful around this stuff if you find it in stores. It can be seductive. It may have very nice colors and drape in very pleasing way. It used to be cheap but I don't how now.'
If you find it write about your sightings.
willow