[Ansteorra] Looking for researchers, proofreaders, and interested folk.

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 13 12:51:10 PST 2010

Greetings from Gunnvor!

I'd like to make an appeal to anyone who is interested in research and/or heraldry, on behalf of the Academy of St. Gabriel (http://www.s-gabriel.org/).

I'd like to invite you to consider becoming a member of the Academy of St. Gabriel (http://www.s-gabriel.org/). The Academy of Saint Gabriel does historical research on names and heraldry, primarily for history hobbyists interested in re-creating medieval and Renaissance Western cultures.

The Academy of St. Gabriel always needs more help. You aren't obliged to work.

If you just want to listen in and learn, that's fine: Teaching is one of the two purposes of the Academy.

If you do want to help, here's some of the tasks available:

* Research (both names and heraldry!)
* Long-term Research (problem names, overview articles)
* Finding New Resources (library and online)
* Writing (warm up your editorial skills and turn others' research into letters)
* Reviewing Drafts (proofreading, fact-checking)
* Conflict checking
* Website maintenance

I've personally really enjoyed working with the Academy. In addition to my own field of interest (Old Norse name geekery), I've learned a lot about the naming practices of other cultures and heraldry. A lot of the queries the Academy of St. Gabriel takes on benefits members of the SCA seeking help in finding historically accurate names and/or heraldry. And several members of the Academy are well-known and very respected members of the SCA, so you will be in good company!

To join the Academy, see the Member's Guide at http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/membersguide/how.html#help

Please feel free to share this post with those who may be interested.

::GUNNVOR::

Academy of St. Gabriel Member and Norse Onomastics Geek