[Ansteorra] OT Engineering and Government actions

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Jan 18 11:19:33 PST 2010

I'd have to say that most of the bridges and other government built and
maintained structures are not badly designed or even badly implemented. I've
looked at many bridges and most are over built (a good thing).

Most of the problems are in lack of maintenance. Governments seem to need an
ever increasing amount of money to implement all the programs their
customers (citizens) want from them (and I mean a higher % of the GDP of the
governmental entity). When choosing what to fund, bridges, sewer systems,
and other things that seem to live forever are often given less than their
due in maintenance. Then when they begin to have problems, it is a crisis
requiring national help.

And that goes back to the politicians instead of the engineers (who would
like nothing better than to do the maintenance that is required).

In service,
Caelin on Andrede

<snip, snip>

> "70,000 bridges nationwide structurally deficient"
> "In Oklahoma, nearly 27 percent of bridges were cited by the federal
> government as being structurally deficient, the highest percentage
> among the states."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/08/03/national/w091454
D87.DTL&type=politics

<snip, snip>