[Ansteorra] Mother of Ansteorra

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 15:58:56 PST 2010

This is for the members of the list, not for the originator of this thread.

People like whoever originated this thread have added to English vocabulary
another meaning for the word "flamer". A flamer is a person who anonymously
enters discussion groups, mailing lists, chat rooms, etc. for no other
reason than to disrupt that group. I've seen situations like this several
times over in discussion groups about the issue of same-sex marriage.
Somebody pops in, says something horribly offensive and upsetting, and
disappears. The people in the group are left wasting time and energy on
someone who's not worth the effort, while the flamer gets a cheap thrill
from his disruptive behavior.

I really feel sorry for people who are so starved for attention that they
develop an unnatural obsession with gaining even negative attention through
such means. Such a person has no sense of accomplishment or pride in
anything other than his ability to get under people's skin. The originator
of this thread probably doesn't know who Duchess Willow de Wisp, OL, OP,
Lion of Ansteorra, is; he probably would have attacked anybody, no matter
who it was. It's just his bad luck that he managed to pick on a former Queen
of one of the oldest Kingdoms in the SCA, and the founding Queen of a
Kingdom that had been a Principality under the Kingdom of which she had
first been Queen. This person has a lot of growing up to do, and if he's
found out, he'll probably be persona non grata in the SCA for a good many
years. Chances are extremely good that we won't be hearing from this person
again.

These things happen. It's sad to say. This thread was begun by someone we
might never know, and in our response, we must take care not to hold anybody
we know accountable for the post's comments. This post did not come from
anybody in Trimaris or from anybody who is seriously interested in the SCA.
My suggestion would be to growl privately, roll our eyes and think "here we
go again," and then just forget about it.

Pax et bonum,
DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg