[Ansteorra] the Blessings of vingar

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:11:17 PST 2010

In the summer between my freshman and sophomore years in high school, I fell
out of a tree and sprained an ankle at my grandparents' ranch. Only two
weeks before band camp was to begin, I was worried that I wouldn't be able
to march in time.

My grandmother tore a brown paper bag into strips and soaked the strips in
vinegar. Once they were saturated, she wrapped the strips around my ankle,
and then wrapped a bandage around the whole mess.

The smell was annoying, but I was on my feet again in just a couple days. I
was amazed.

My mom cleans her coffee pot by brewing vinegar through it. Most of the
times when I was in high school, she'd do it early on Saturday morning, the
ONLY day anybody could sleep in at our house (and if we'd had a football
game the night before, I really needed the extra sleep!). If we had had
things like the Internet in those days, I would have printed a picture of
Joan Crawford and stuck it to the refrigerator door.

I may have to go to confession for that thought.....

DT+LF
Detlef von Marburg