[Ansteorra] the Blessings of vingar

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 17 13:08:49 PST 2010

On Jan 17, 2010, at 1:54 PM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> Did you know Vingar will kill Black mold.
> willow

What's special about black mold? Or does it work on other colors of
mold, too?

For cleaning, use the cheapest vinegar you can find. No reason to use
the good stuff. Most modern vinegar is standardized to a 5% solution.
The cheapest distilled vinegar is actually made from petroleum. Sure
surprised me when I heard that, but look at the label. Not really what
I want to put on my salad!

For some more on vinegar, both today and in period:

Vinegar-NJFCC-art (18K) 10/23/01    "Vinegar: Not Just for Cleaning
Coffeepots"
                                        by THL Mirin ben DhIarmait.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-NJFCC-art.html
Vinegar-art       (20K)  6/26/01    "What's so special about Vinegar?"
by
                                        Mistress Christianna MacGrain.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Vinegar-art.html
vinegar-msg      (110K) 12/ 5/09    Vinegar in period. Making vinegar.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/vinegar-msg.html

Another medieval sour juice that you may have heard of is verjuice,
usually made from unripe grapes or crabapples.
verjuice-msg     (130K)  3/25/09    Medieval verjuice. Modern
substitutions.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/verjuice-msg.html

Stefan
--------