[Ansteorra] Mother of Ansteorra

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Mon Jan 18 07:52:27 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 04:01:13PM -0600, Robert Fitzmorgan wrote:
> I have no problem whatsoever believing that government officials didn't
> bother to do their research before spending lots of money on something.
> Seems like the standard MO most of the time.

Oh, Robert! Painting everyone with the same brush, regardless of merit,
is so wrong!

In mundane life, I work for the highway department. When we don't do our
research, people are injured or die, and a great deal of pain and suffering
ensues. We're not in the business of causing pain, suffering, injury, or
death. Our business is to provide a safe transportation network (air, rail,
water, and road) for all to use.

Every engineer who signs off on a design puts his professional license
his professional reputation, his job, the reputation of his employer, and
a great deal of money at risk. His job is to create a design that, first
and foremost, is safe; it has to do a lot of other things, too, but it
*must* be safe. The other people involved in the design put their jobs and
reputations at risk, too, as do the contractors who actually implement the
design in concrete, steel, asphalt, and other materials.

Care to repeat that slander?

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO