[Ansteorra] The first installment of Uncle Jovian's "Thought on A&S"

deddy2 at austin.rr.com deddy2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jan 30 18:03:15 PST 2010

My Best and the Worst Counsel
Master Jovian Skleros

	Since I don’t play as much as I would like to, I thought that this forum would be an excellent place to share some thoughts and lessons about being an artisan/Laurel. What do I know about this topic? I’m glad you asked. I’ve been and artisan for nearly 15 years in the SCA and a Laurel for 9 of those years. I have been to several Laurel retreats where we’ve discussed what it means to be both. My fellow Laurels and I have talked over these topics at events and argued back and forth. I don’t mean to sound overly proud (and forgive me if I sound puffed up with my own importance) I simply want to share this knowledge with the populace of Ansteorra.
	Since not every group has a Laurel, I thought it might be useful to impart some Laurel-ly experience. Other Laurels may disagree with me, and if they do I hope they will share their own insight and experience. Now on to the meat of the subject: counsel.
	My worst counsel – for your edification. Early in my SCA career a friend and I were sewing costumes for an event. She was showing me some research that she was doing. I had never seen anything like what she was finding. What did I know? I was using a theatrical costume book for my patterns and clothing ideas. I was impressed; so impressed, in fact, that I told her, “Wow, this is incredible. None of the Laurels are doing this kind of research! You should get a Laurel for this!”
	Not only was I talking out of my rear end, but I set her up for expectations that were unreasonable. I regret having done so, and I wonder if I caused her to lose her artistic sprit when that the accolades I said were her’s were not forthcoming.
	So, the counsel I give to you is this. A simple “That’s cool.” is perfect. I know we want to say nice thing, but the risk of causing someone to think that a peerage is around the corner may leave them bitterly wondering what the Laurels have against them.
	My best counsel – also for you edification. Here is where I try to redeem myself. I was talking to my first apprentice and I shared this bit of advice… “You’re on the right track, but remember this. Some people will be made ahead of you. Some of them will have played a shorter amount of time than you have. Some may be less talented than you are. Others will have been made for political reasons. A few might leave you thinking ’What the… heck!’ Our award system isn’t completely fair, it never will be completely fair. Simply knowing this will help you weather the future shocks and surprises.”
	Later on, my apprentice (now a Laurel) told me this was perhaps the best piece of advice she had heard.
	There you have it folks, pearls of wisdom… or at least mother-of-pearls of wisdom. Take what you like from this, dismiss what you don’t. I just hope that at least one or two people will find it helpful. If this little essay has piqued your interest enough (or you’re desperate enough) you have my permission to use it in your group’s newsletter. All I ask is that you use it in full and with no additions or deletions and that you keep my name attached to it. I’d also like to know what newsletter is was in.

In Service,
Master Jovian Skleros