[Ansteorra] The first installment of Uncle Jovian's "Thought onA&S "

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sun Jan 31 17:18:42 PST 2010

I am both  familiar with not getting awards for a long time. I had been in the SCA for 12 years before I got any award. I also know about trying for an award for a long time. I tried for 12 years to get my Laurel after I changed my first to a Pel,
I wanted to be worthy  of an Laurel because one of reasons I changed from a Laurel to a Pelican was because  they convinced me  I was not an artist but an organizer. I really respected the Laurel circle and wanted to be as good as they.
It wasn't the award. I wanted to be able to do art on their level. I wanted to be excellence.
In early Ansteorra we didn't worry about awards because we lived so far from the capital that we didn't get awards. We learned and studied and made because we loved art, and learning. Learning stuff and sharing knowledge was a great big savager game. We were always running around looking and reading and incorporating the knowledge into our personas and campsites and clothing. We would go to events and admired and lusted after each others knowledge and stuff. It was a lot of fun.
Today it is very hard for me to get awards. Most people think I have enough. If I did things for awards I wouldn't be in the SCA any more. I do things. I make things and I learn things because I enjoy it.
It took me 12 years to do something well enough to be an Laurel. I know of gentleman who took almost that long to be knights. In both cases we were trying to improve our arts to the level of excellence worthy of peerage. The peerage wasn't the goal it was the excellence in arts we were striving for and even if it took a long time it was the joy of our arts that kept us going. It was our dream to be good at this art. The award were pleasant because they showed us others thought we were doing well.
willow