[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Liam Gordon cenliamgordon2005 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:46:18 PDT 2010

Rose,

It is true, the tourneys are for the entertainment of the observers.  But,
the tourneys are also for those of us who fight.  Summer Crown last year was
much hotter, but those who fought, still fought in the 100+ degree weather
anyway.

Was there not a hall on site that was air conditioned that those who were
not fighting, or done fighting for the day could go to, so as to cool down?

We who are heavy fighters chose to do what we do, because we enjoy it.  We
know the risks, from possible heat injuries to broken bones and torn
ligaments to possible concussions.  Although, we still do it.  We do it for
the honour of the combat, we do it to honour our fellow combatants, our
Ladies and our Lords; heck, there are times when we do it for our children.
But, we still do it.  If those who are not fighting need to take a break
from the heat, that is understandable.  Tradition is tradition, though...
Most Ansteorran fighters that I know would prefer to fight outside...  And
for some of us, it's a safety factor...  I would not want to fight on a
concrete floor.  The possibilities for rolled, or broken ankles is just as
high on a hard surface as it is in a grassy field, if not more so, because
it doesn't give, even a little.  Someone could also slip and cause any
multitude of injuries to themselves or others.

Just my two pence...

Centurion Liam Gordon
On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM, <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, he was proud. Most of the fighters are proud. And we are proud of
> them. :)
>
> But what about the rest of us? Should we all start heat-training as well?
> The majority of people at events are not fighters. Some of us are older,
> some of us are children, and some of us are healthy 24-year-olds who get
> over-heated, anyway, as I did.
>
> Fighting outside in the worst heat isn't historically necessary, healthy
> for the majority of participants, or even the most fun. So why do we resist
> making accomodations for the worst summer weather as we do for the worst
> weather in every other season? I don't understand.
>
> So far, all I've heard is 'because we've always done it this way', which is
> countered by the fact that this is only our 2nd mid-summer Crown. :P
>
> I don't want to argue about it. Ansteorra belongs to all of us, from the
> artisans to the waterbearers to the fighters who desire the outdoors. I'm
> just asking that the needs and desires of the other participants, be
> considered along the needs and the desires of the participants who disagree,
> for next year's summer Crown.
>

> -Rose the Obnoxious
>

> .

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?