[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Dave W wiselaw at comcast.net
Mon Jul 12 05:19:58 PDT 2010

Greetings all,

Whether one cites 'traditions' or 'history', I am glad to see us fight
outside, irrespective of the weather.  Having fought for going on 29 years
now, I've been to far more events than I can possibly recall.  There are
some events that stand out, some good, some bad.  Brushing off the snow to
commence a Crown tournament match in the Western Region, brought a smile,
despite (or perhaps because of the chill).  Watching the cloud of dust arise
as my horse pawed the hot dry lands of Bryn Gwlad when the heat hit 103 at
the first Lysts of Castleton is a memory I'll cherish forever.
Unfortunately, I also remember the first time I saw the results when folks
decided to move the fighting under the covered metal pavilions at Steppes
Warlord due to heat.  What was supposed to be a glorious tournament of our
most dedicated fighters, turned into a cheesy fight practice.  People drove
their cars over there and kept the radios going so they could have their
rock music playing while watching the fighting, after all they had their
shade, might as well have the tunes going.....'Make believe' or not, it
certainly wasn't much of a 're-creation of pre-seventeenth century
life'.....

There are countless ways for folks to spend their days that don't run the
risk of breaking a sweat.  That is what video games and bowling are for.
However, the opportunity to match strength and wits against a seasoned
opponent, or as I often describe it, a chess match with immediate brutal
consequences, loses something every time we compromise for 'convenience'.
While folks need to recognize the issues heat can present, I would hate to
think our folks are so slow that they need others to act as nannies for
them.  Instead, be sure to thank the water bearer who will also endure the
weather and recognize the kindness they offer you.  Return courtesy with
courtesy, seems simple to me....

Sir Alexis LaBouche

p.s. Haven't kept track of the number of kingdoms, but has been quite a few.
Also, there was a certain charge up Senlac Hill in full mail harness against
a couple of feisty Saxons wielding steel weapons...While not the original
Battle of Hastings, the weight of the riveted mail harness over the aketon
felt pretty real to me as I adjusted the conical to account for the trot of
the horse..