[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jul 12 14:19:55 PDT 2010

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Rose <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The proponents for outdoor fighting makes it sound as though indoor
> fighting is the worst possible scenario. Well, I've been to plenty
> of indoor fighting events, and seen even more indoor fighter
> practices. Do we have any statistics to back up the claim of
> increased injuries? If so, how to they compare to injuries by heat?
> Facts are good.

I remember at least one Middle Kingdom tourney in a high-school gym,
but they do fight outside in good weather.  If you want to research
it, I would wildly guess that the Middle or kingdoms with similar
climates could provide good data.

(Weather Underground has climate data, averages and records.  For
example,
<http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KORD&SafeCityName=Chicago&StateCode=IL&Units=none&IATA=ORD>
gives you climate data for Chicago. Looks like they have to fight
indoors or else not fight at all for several months per year.)

(Ansteorra could certainly have two crowns per year fought in (on the
average) nice weather.  If fought in Austin, for example, you merely
have to schedule it to be about November 3 and March 7.)

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com