[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:12:36 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

> My understanding is that heat illness can muddy one's judgment.
> If so, what if it sneaks up on you?
>
> Danel de Lyncoln

Heat injury can indeed sneak up on someone, so a first time experience
might be confusing and you might need help identifying whether or not
you need to knock off for the day.  That's why there are marshals and
why those marshals have the authority to NOT let someone on the field.
 If worse comes to worst, and as a spectator, you see someone who is
obviously impaired, you grab a chirugeon, and a marshal and get them
involved to keep an unsafe or injured fighter off the field.

After that, however, if you fail to learn about an injury you've
suffered in the past, including signs and symptoms that means you need
to get your butt off the field and take preventative measures,  you
might want to do that.   Asking for help, such as "Hey, it's hotter
than hell out here, and I got heat exhaustion last summer.  If I start
getting crazier than normal, grab me and make sure I'm not fried,
okay?" isn't a sigh of weakness.  It *IS* being an adult, a
responsible one at that.  Sir Tomas knew when he'd had enough, and
knew when he needed to take some time off to to try and cool down.  He
*knew* what was going on with his body, and if he'd chosen to ignore
it, that's a whole 'nother ball o' wax.

I have ZERO doubt Sir Tomas will figure out a way to work around his
heat injuries, and to continue to fight.  I *also* have NO doubt he
and his lady both, as well as members of their household will learn
what it means to have a fighter who is prone to heat injury and how to
help protect him against further injury, but I sincerely doubt Sir
Tomas will stop fighting, or  that his household would want him to.

Helene Dalassene
--
I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.