[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Mon Jul 12 21:49:49 PDT 2010

<snip, snip>

> There are compromises that can make this work. We have trained personnel to assist and evaluate a person’s condition and they should have the final say. If you do not like that then get in better condition and be less likely to suffer a heat injury. Make their decision final and if they determine you are unable to continue then do the honorable thing and follow their decision. While I feel hydration is a personal responsibility these are our friends we are dealing with and everyone should be on the lookout for people who may be possibly suffering from heat exhaustion. I doubt anyone with honor would accuse someone of becoming a heat casualty just to get them out of a competition.

As one with a fair amount of the training you speak, I would suggest we give advice to the fighter and the Marshals and not make final decisions for them. If we really believe their ability to make a decision is impaired, then we need to call EMS as that is a rather serious symptom. Lacking that, they can choose their own path.

> As a precaution we should have a space available to treat heat casualties. Hopefully somewhere air conditioning and a cot. Even a tent with a portable ac will do. As I tell people on the archery range, if you see someone who you think is suffering from heat you are obligated to bring it to their attention and then tell me about it so I can see them.

As a Chirurgeon I always looked for this kind of resource. We even used someone's car with AC on occasion. But the cost of facilities with such resources is often too expensive for us.

<snip, snip>

> Dante

In service,
Caelin on Andrede