[Ansteorra] Happy Medium Options

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 12 23:14:59 PDT 2010

About Indoor Ambiance:

If we moved toward indoor events in July and August, people would work
just as hard on indoor ambiance as they do on outdoor ambiance, and our
indoor events would be improved. I believe that the problem of indoor
ambiance doesn't occur because we're indoors, it occurs because we're
/rarely/ indoors. :)

That being said, I've seen some wonderful ambiance in halls, such as
the wonderful showing that Eldern always puts on, where they cover
almost 100% of the walls in cloth, murals, and imitation columns. It's
always an amazing transformation. I think that the Eldern halls are the
place where I've felt the most medieval.

About Flooring:

I find the theory that slick grass and mud are less dangerous than slick floors to be questionable. I haven't seen any data on that, so it's hard for me to form an opinion.

Regardless, if a site is wonderful in all other ways, but has slick floors, like the halls that we dance in all the time, we could use the rugs that we use for dancers, and place duct tape over the edges, to prevent tripping. Even if connecting them by duct tape is frowned upon, some of our area rugs are roughly the size of the sections of roped-off field, so I think it would work nicely, without worry about the edges.

Also, we could rent or purchase the movable cork flooring (the kind that people rent for weddings, that fit together like puzzles), and place that on those slick cement floors. Those are made to be used heavily by stilettos and boots alike and are very durable.

Another fighter, who was visiting tonight, mentioned the tough foam that you see in gymnasiums and dojos, that can be rolled up and transported. He says (and I agree) that it's less slippery than grass, and more cushioned for falls. Safer, more comfortable, and not as hard on armor and garb.

In addition, Lord Miles Grey put forth this idea on the Namron list:

"There is a solution to this, and it's in use in Calontir.  There are
industrial-type pieces of tough foam floor padding about 2' square with
puzzle-piece edges.  All pieces are the same size and shape, and every
fighter has one or two of them and every group has a bunch.  I've
watched those pieces used for an indoor tournament and for indoor
fighter practices - they protect the floor very well and, when
assembled correctly, they present no edges that will catch your foot."

I am happy to see people brainstorming this. :)

-R the O

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.