[Ansteorra] I have a question

Sonja Crocker sonja.crocker at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:23:43 PDT 2010

In Atlantia (in 1989), some high school friends took me to a fighter
practice every week for months. All we would do was sit around, chat,
and watch the fighters. Then, my boyfriend took me to an event. I was
hooked. I went to demos and practices and the like after that.

I was later accepted to UT in Austin where I majored in English
Literature. Once I settled in, I looked them up again and found
instant friends. Then, I moved again. I looked up the SCA in my new
area and found the Shire of Loch Ruadh and more welcoming friends.
Nowhere else have I found such gracious and loving friends. It feels
almost like a brother/sisterhood. You need crash space, you got it.
You need to borrow something, you got it. That is why I joined. Why do
I keep coming back?

At this last Gulf Wars my pavilion was savagely attacked by the wind.
It was torn apart. I went to a friend and told her what had happened.
She told me to return to camp and she would get some help taking it
all down. Within minutes, I had 5 strong men and women helping me take
the pavilion down. A man then donated a spare pavilion that he had
brought. And he helped us put it up. I also had several people in Loch
Ruadh help me out when our heater quit working and our food spoiled.
With all of those things going wrong, it could have been a very bad
experience. But, with so many wonderful SCAdians there (most of who I
had never even met before), it was still a wonderful event. I still
cherish the memories of those people who made my family feel loved and
safe.

Vivat and Many Thanks!

Cait