[Ansteorra] I have a question

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 19:25:05 PDT 2010

On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:20 AM, Miles Grey wrote:

> Having spent 4 years in Germany as a kid clambering all over ruins of
> medieval castles - they're everywhere - I always had an interest in things
> medieval.

Wow. Taking a vacation to England or Europe is something my wife have been wanting to do.

>  Before the first verse was finished, the near-roar of
> conversation and laughter was gone completely.  There was utter silence as
> he finished.  The cheers and applause came only after several moments of
> stunned silence.  I hope to hear a song like that again, but it's possible
> that we only get to experience such magic once.

For some more writings on those "magic moments" in the SCA, see this file in the SCA-SOCIOLOGY section of the Florilegium:

magic-moments-msg (50K) 7/ 1/08 "Magic moments" experienced in the SCA.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/magic-moments-msg.html

SCA-The-Dream-msg (50K) 1/11/96 What the SCA means for different people.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-The-Dream-msg.html

> I joined the SCA because I got to scramble around ruined medieval castles
> as a child.  I'm in the SCA because I belong.
>
>  Miles Grey
>
> PS - this question seems to have arisen because of a bit of heat on the
> list.  In my family, some harsh words, arguments, and a little anger from
> time to time were normal.  We remain family.  To me, a list where tempers
> didn't flare every now and again would seem incomplete.  It seems to me
> that if you don't care enough to get angry sometimes, then you don't care
> enough.

Not an uncommon observation, for good and bad.

SCA-as-family-msg (52K) 7/10/05 Sometimes the SCA is more like family.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-as-family-msg.html

My apologies if any gentles consider these many Florilegium file references to be intruding.

Stefan
Who sometimes has a loud mouth.

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com