[Ansteorra] I have a question

marlyna at aol.com marlyna at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 20:41:26 PDT 2010

The SCA saved my life....

I had gone to an Arts Festival in Lubbock with my husband and had seen this group in really neat clothes there.  The marriage was not a good one and soon ended.  By that time, I was not in a good place mentally and emotionally.  The next year I was at the Arts Festival again and again saw this group of people in wonderful clothes.  I went and signed up for more information.  Soon I was contacted about a Newcomer's revel so I went.

When I am around people I don't know, I usually sit apart and watch.  The revel was in the backyard of one of the member's house.  I was sitting by myself and two different gentlemen came over at different times and sat and talked to me telling me about the SCA and what all was happening at the revel.  I didn't think I had anything to offer the group because my ex had emotionally torn me apart.  During the next few years, I realized that I had LOTS to offer.  The SCA helped me to rebuild my life and my self esteem.  They became my family (I know you have heard that many times before, but it is so true).

Sadly, one of the gentlemen that talked to me that first time has since passed on and I have lost touch with Lord Anton, but their actions had a bigger impact than either of them ever knew.  I no longer live in Bonwicke, but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Marlyna