[Ansteorra] Carrollton Parks - Combat Archery and Siege Weapon Training

Mike meggiddo at netzero.net
Sat Jul 17 09:46:50 PDT 2010

Heilsa,

This invitation or announcement of Combat Archery (CA) and possible
Siege Engine (SE) Training at Mary Heads Carter park had been sent out
to various email lists, how many and which ones, I do not know for sure.
To be sure of actually reaching as many as possible, have taken this
avenue of communication on the Kingdom email list.

If you have not be informed of this activity or do not have an interest,
then my apologies for adding to your email. Please Delete!

The park location for the fighter practice was official moved at the
beginning of July, July 5th I believe. The new park location is Oak
Creek park in Carrollton, couple miles or so north of Mary Heads Carter
park. Whereas the original email to the best of my knowledge, specified
Mary Heads Carter park. I have not heard of any notification of change
in the locations to the new park.

I have visited Oak Creek park on two separate occasions (June 28 and
July 2) to explore the possibilities of actual using that park for all
activities that are currently enjoyed at Mary Heads Carter by the SCA
past Group and now the SCA current Group. It does offer an number of
additional amenities (read as more trees) over Mary Heads Carter park.
Oak Creek park is only 3 years old.

I would have like to have included combat archery there as well. I am
have been sole combat archer and missile marshal, 99% of the time at
Mary Heads Carter park since November 2001. Whereas Ironwyrm and the
local area archers has only been out there 3 times in over 8 1/2 years.
The last time was February 25, 2007.

I used to publish a weekly newsletter on what actually occurred during
the regular fighter practice. The contents contain the following:

1. Each good gentle name - I stride for SCA names over modern. All good
gentles, regardless whether they came out to fight or attended to watch,
where given word fame for coming out and attending. If modern name, then
only used 1st name and only with permission.
2. Each fighter list by by name, whether SCA or modern.
3. If any good gentle had received recognition, such the Crown, the
Heirs, Knights, Centurions, etc..., was so noted.
4. What type of weapon and/or shield each fighter was using at the time.
5. If tournament format, then record which pair had elected face-off.
Did not record who won.
6. If Melee format, then stride to record each side by name, weapon,
and/or shield. Did not record who won.
7. Which combat archer(s) came out and what type of bow or crossbow and
how many arrows or bolts each had.
8. A bit about the weather conditions.
9. Attempted to group everyone by known Household.
10. A total of those attending, which was broken down by fighters,
non-fighters and number of children.

So, I do know who has been out there at Mary Heads Carter park over the
years, there is something like 185 or so separate newsletters.

Since all correspondence has been through me to the City of Carrollton
for combat archery and not the SCA current group, which was recognized
by the City of Carrollton - November 2001 and only for Mary Heads Carter
park,

This recognition Does NOT include siege weapons within Mary Heads Carter
park nor any other park in Carrollton. The recognition was only for
combat archery with under-power hand bows. Since 30 lb., longbow and/or
recurves was the dominate bow back then, before individuals switched to
crossbows due to the requirement of APD's.

Since no one has bothered to contact me from the SCA current Group on
plans for the future of combat archery in this move to Oak Creek park.

I contacted the City of Carrollton on July 7, 2010, to explore the
requirements to transfer the permission for combat archery from Mary
Heads Carter park to Oak Creek park. In knowing what the criteria was
for getting permission originally (November 2001) to conduct combat
archery from the City for Mary Heads Carter park.

I felt that I was best individual to explore with the City this
transfer. Afterall, I do have all the correspondence that went on with
the City of Carrollton for the original permission to include combat
archery in Mary Heads Carter park as part of the regular fighter
practice. In fact, the majority of this correspondence, no one else has,
much less read. This includes the Barony and the local Target
Archery/Siege Weapons community, which was their decision at the time.

The following 4 issues were raised by the City of Carrollton on of July
7, 2010:

#1 - Park regulations of the City of Carrollton have changed since 2001.

#2 - The SCA current Group is not a recognized group at Oak Creek park.
This is extremely important.

#3 - The recognition for Oak Creek park would be for all types of group
activities from heavy fighting to light to A&S projects, any type of
group activity that could meet out there regularly. If the SCA current
Group gets recognize for one activity, then it should applied all across
the board with exceptions for Combat Archery and Siege Weapons.

This means that Combat Archery would be consider as separate from Siege
Weapons. In other words, two separate recognition processes must be
undertaken prior to actually doing either activity.

Siege weapons would be a separate set of recognition(s). I had been
attempting over the years to get just this type of authorization from
the City, which included working up a set of possible scenarios that
would meet the City's requirements - the major stumbling block has
always been the local Target Archery/Siege Weapons community.

#4 -To accomplish this recognition for Oak Creek park, SCA current group
must speak with the City of Carrollton on these issues, in other words,
starting over at square one.

Transferring from Mary Heads Carter park of Combat Archery to Oak Creek
park is NOT an option per the City, without meeting the above criteria.
Since, the recognition to perform Combat Archery was done specifically
for Mary Heads Carter park and for no other parks within the City Limits.

I contacted the Baron, Senechal, and the Knight Marshal of Steppes with
the above issues on July 7, 2010 by email, after discussing the issue(s)
with the City of Carrollton. This email when printed out was more than 4
pages in length. These warrant officers had not deemed it necessary to
reply back me. So, I am assuming that they reached the decision that
they need not inform the City of Carrollton on this move from Mary Heads
Carter park to Oak Creek park, especially for combat archery, much less
for siege weapons training.

I have made a decision that until I know for sure how the City of
Carrollton and the Home Owners Association (HOA), and possible others
will react that used Oak Creek park. I will not be attending Oak Creek
park with any of my combat archery equipment just to avoid
misconceptions from non-members that use Oak Creek park.

Michael Kettering