[Ansteorra] Why Crown Tourney has been moved to the heat.

Sir Lyonel sirlyonel at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 18 00:12:03 PDT 2010

Salut cozyns,

The horse is dead. It's time to put the whips down. In fact, that time
is so far gone that all the critter's hide and bones long ago attained
the consistency of molasses and seeped slowly into the Earth. The
horse's descendents (and more than a few of its ancestors) have died
from sympathetic psychokinetic shock, and  our noble Equus ferus
caballus has just been placed on the endangered species list. The
King's Lancer is not pleased. A horse shaped crater several hundred
feet deep marks the spot.

In case I'm being too subtle, try to understand the following
information:

(1) The decision to move the crown tournaments was made after
considerable debate and with the full understanding that one Crown per
year would be in very hot weather. TRM don't need advice on obtaining
an indoor arena for the summer Crown. If They'd wanted an indoor
tournament, the steward would have found one.

(2) We have much experience dealing with heat and do watch out for
signs of overheated competitors. That's why Ser Tomas was taken to a
shady spot for rest and rehydration before continuing.

(3) The majority of the fighters are not interested in fighting
indoors. In fact, said majority considers this choice a matter of
kingdom pride. Ser Tomas expressed the prevailing opinion at Crown
when he said that this is Ansteorra, we fight in the heat. We consider
the Ansteorran Crown tournament a crucible. Crucibles shouldn't be air
conditioned.

(4) If you want to fight in a summer Crown but would prefer to fight
indoors, discuss it with your fellow fighters a few months before that
tournament. Who knows, you might convince enough folks to bring
pressure on the Their Majesties for that one tournament--especially if
the sovereign at the time happens to be someone like Duke Gunther,who
has already stated a preference for fighting in cooler venues. If you
do NOT manage to convince TRM well before the location of the
tournament is established take it like a good sport and try again for
a later Crown. Arguing after the fact (like you've been doing) doesn't
win supporters, it just irritates...well, just about everyone.

(5) If you are concerned about the welfare of our fighters, allow them
to use your pavilion's shade between bouts and volunteer as a
waterbearer, a chirurgeon, or both.

(6) If you are concerned about your own health, wear a hat, bring a
pavilion, hire someone to follow you about waving a big fan at you,
avoid caffein, and drink lots of water. If that doesn't keep you cool
and hydrated, hook up an IV and wear ice bags in your undies. If that
STILL doesn't do it for you--if you STILL simply can't abide the heat--
stay home. Missing one event won't kill you.

This discussion has gone well beyond its expiry date.

[Or continue to babble, and we'll all just keep hitting delete. *sigh*]

Pretty please. Drop this subject.

En Lyonel
Grumpy, under-medicated knight on injured reserve