[Ansteorra] A Special Demo Opportunity!!! ... A Shameless Plug!!!

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Sat Jul 3 11:34:04 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 03, 2010 at 12:34:29PM -0500, Cam's Gmail wrote:

> Fellow SCAdians ...

> The City Fathers of Crockett are really psyched about us (the SCA) being
> there.  The Chief of Police, the local Sheriff, the Fire Department and the
> EMTs are all planning on making appearances during the course of the day.
> These people really, really WANT us there so we won't be viewed as "a bunch
> of crazies in strange clothes"!

I very deeply wish I could be there. That is *SUCH* good news, and so very
good indeed to read. Can someone arrange to have the local papers, TV
stations, etc, publish some imagery of the Chief, the Sheriff, et al. --
especially folks in uniform -- playing with us, talking with us, trying the
heft of a sword or shield, or putting on some armor, or trying some court
dance or other? That would be great ammunition for us the next time someone
decides that we're satanists, child abusers, or otherwise undesirable.

>                                  There is even talk of making it "an annual
> event ... maybe during a cooler time of the year."  They are already asking
> if this goes well if Raven's Fort or another branch would consider hosting
> an event in their area!

Get it on the calendar and Ly. Isobel and I will do our best to be there,
her schedule (she's a teacher) and physical condition permitting.

> So what do you think?  Is the SCA going to let these good people down? I
> really hope not!  Not only will it be good for Raven's Fort and surrounding
> Baronies/Shires, it will be good for the Society as a whole.  We all know
> that membership numbers are down ... Here's a chance to get them back up.
> Demos are our recruiting tool and we should all take those opportunities to
> show the mundane world the beauty that is our Dream.

Saying "Amen" would just be preaching to the choir, but I'll do it anyway.
Go thou and show the outside world what the SCA's about! Opportunities of
this sort come infrequently, and should be taken when they present
themselves.

Carpe diem!

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO