[Ansteorra] rush lights "Living History"

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 21:36:45 PDT 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 5:29 PM, willowdewisp at juno.com wrote:

> I was thinking at a display of local plants and how they do as lighting material would be a great "living history" display at a demo or event.
> Did early colonalist use "rush lights" ?

Yes.

> What did Native Americans use? I saw something about Roman age Picks but I lost it.

I assume you mean the Picts. Unfortunately, we really don't have much information on them and much of what you read on the net is based on other groups or is based on conjecture. So not much on their specific fire and lighting techniques.

> willow

If you haven't seen it, this file in the HOME, SWEET HOME section of the Florilegium might be useful to you on some more info on torches and the use of pine knots for lighting, as well as candles and other lighting sources.

Med-Lighting-art (18K) 6/ 3/09 "See What You're Eating: A how-to guide to Period (600 CE - 1600 CE) lighting for the feast table" by Master Bedwyr Danwyn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HOME/Med-Lighting-art.html

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com