[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

SoldierGrrrl soldier.grrrl at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 20:49:29 PDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM,  <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Yes, he was proud. Most of the fighters are proud. And we are proud of them. :)
>
> But what about the rest of us? Should we all start heat-training as well? The majority of people at events are not fighters. Some of us are older, some of us are children, and some of us are healthy 24-year-olds who get over-heated, anyway, > as I did.

If you live in Ansteorra, then yes, you do need take steps to keep
yourself hydrated and heat-injury-resistant.  You should be taking
steps to keep yourself from being hurt in the heat, meaning, staying
hydrated, keeping as physically healthy as *you are able,* and
realizing that sometimes, going inside to that hall is the better
idea.  After all, there are things like hurricanes that knock out
power lines and interrupt air-conditioned comfort.

> Fighting outside in the worst heat isn't historically necessary, healthy for the majority of participants, or even the most fun. So why do we resist making accommodations for the worst summer weather as we do for the worst weather in every other season? I don't understand.

No offense, but you don't understand because you don't fight.  That's
much like someone telling me they don't understand why I stay in the
Army, or why I stay married to an Army NCO, when it's cost me three
years of my six-year marriage.  There aren't really any words that
will *make* you understand.  That's much like telling a fighter who is
showing off that *lovely* bruise wrapping around their torso that you
don't understand why they do it, or you don't understand why they
don't just wear more armor.  It's a madness.  ;-)  (Trust me, I live
in a household with three fighters.  Two are nutty about it, I'm more
a dilettante.)

By that reckoning, Steppes should be moved, or fought inside because
it's usually hotter than hell, and Gothic should definitely be
reconsidered.  Also, even though January crown was colder than I'd
want to deal with, I don't recollect too many people asking it to be
moved inside.  I could be wrong.

> I don't want to argue about it. Ansteorra belongs to all of us, from the artisans to the waterbearers to the fighters who desire the outdoors. I'm just asking that the needs and desires of the other participants, be considered along the needs and the desires of the participants who disagree, for next year's summer Crown.

There were other options for non-fighters.  There was a hall,  and I'm
sure there were pavilions, etc.

Also, fighting indoors can damage floors, or can damage fighters who
go down on a hard concrete floor.  I, personally, would much rather
end up grass while wearing hard bit of metal and leather, actually.
Frankly, how much more money do we want to pay to repair wooden or
concrete floors, unless it's specifically waived in our rental
contracts?  Those are considerations, although I'm sure they seem
rather mercenary.

In service,
Helene Dalassene
(Really, fighters are crazy.)

--
I've asked forgiveness from the Lord, now take my soul, and bring my sword.