[Ansteorra] Story from Crown Tourney

pancua pancua at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 15:12:11 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Rose <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, there was a wonderfully air-conditioned hall on-site. But I didn't
> drive all that way, pay my site fee, and do my share of volunteering to sit
> inside and read a book, which is what I spent most of Crown Tournament
> doing. Is that what the fighters are suggesting that we do?

No, that is a personal choice you made on your own. No one asked you to do
anything but to come and hang out with good people.

> It's not about risk, it's not about telling fighters where and when they
> should fight, and my request for consideration isn't even about the damned
> fighters at all. (Whom I love and am proud of.) We get it. You want to be
> macho. That's fine.

No, I do not want to be macho. I want to have fun and this is an acceptable
risk *to me*. It has nothing to with being macho. It has everything to do
with wanting to do something with my friends that is exciting and a bit of a
work out at the same time. No where in my thinking does machismo come into
it. Maybe for those looking at me...but that is their issue, don't put it on
me.

> But fighters who want to fight outside in the worst heat, no matter what,
> are asking the *entire populace* to condition themselves, to stay out in the
> worst heat, and to listen to their bodies. You are asking this of everyone
> from toddlers to the elderly. Quite of few of us are replying:
>
> We don't want to.

So don't! No one is asking anyone to do anything they are uncomfortable with
doing. Everyone has a choice to be/do/see what they want to do. My lord
fights and when I can't take the heat anymore, I retreat indoors, socialize,
doing a bit of shopping and then I go back outside. I moderate my exposure.
I (dare I say it?) take responsibility for myself and listen to what my body
needs and wants.

> And if we can talk about staying staying outdoors in the worst heat because
> some parts of our populace wants to, then we should be able to talk about
> making accommodations in the worst heat because some of our populace wants
> to.
>
> I mean, there are historical arguments for and against, there are health
> arguments for and against, there are moral arguments for and against, and
> all it comes down the fact that alot of us want indoor fighting during the
> worst heat, and alot of us don't want that.
>

> Are the fighters going to insist that we keep doing this
> exactly as we have been, and to hell with the rest of us? Or is it
> possible that the resourceful minds of our gloriously brilliant
> Kingdom can come up with a happy medium?

Aha, so now this is something I can get behind. Instead of coming out
against one extreme with a suggestion of the opposite extreme, what CAN be
accomplished to make everyone happy. I have heard suggestions about misting
tents and while I understand the desire, I am personally ambivalent to them.
They do seem to make heat a tad easier to deal with and those that do not
want to use them, don't have to. Again, choice.

--
In humble service to The Barony of  Bryn Gwlad,

Lady Magdelena "Dena" Cortez
MKA Katy Hendrick
Cell: 512-585-4172