[Ansteorra] Nitpicking Angry Folks (WAS: Indoor Fighting)

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 14:46:47 PDT 2010

I think it's pretty crazy that people are picking apart the etymology of a single word in order to make it seem like I was using the most negative definition in order to insult people. I'm fairly sure that if I wanted to insult someone, I could do so in a way that wouldn't leave any questions about my intent. :P

Some are you are fairly angry (and some of you got that way QUICK) and,
if you are, I suggest that you remove yourself from the thread. Remember, the SCA is about fun, and it's not very fun if your head explodes. Plus, it's messy.

I've seen the Urban Dictionary 'definition' and that's absolutely not what I meant. I can see how there can be some confusion between definitions, so why not ask me, instead of looking for the worst definition? Next, that definition doesn't even makes sense in this context, unless someone really
thinks that I think that fighting in the worst heat is a trait of a man who
wants to dominate and control women.

No, when I used the word
'macho' , I was attempting to describe our fighters, who enjoy
prominently exhibiting their masculinity and prowess, even when it
isn't very smart to do so. Is that the nicest thing that I can say
about someone? Nope. But my part of this conversation wasn't about praising
people, it was about addressing a problem. Problems are usually
negative things, and sometimes require descriptive words with negative
connotations. I stand by that description.

I'm sorry if my words were misunderstood, or if anyone is insulted by the actual intent of my words (and not what other people assume is my intent). I'll try to be more careful with descriptives if y'all promise to start asking people what they mean instead of assuming that they mean something bad. Especially in writing, where there's no tone.

About titles: I find it pretty presumptuous to assume that people should visit an entirely different website just to find out my name. When this is paired with the fact that some people, from Dukes to Ladies, prefer to be called by their name, and /not/ by their titles, it does make more sense to call people by the name that they list. In Robin of Gilwell's case, he simply signed 'Robin of Gilwell', just as Lord Ioannes signed his name as 'Lord Ioannes'.

I did call Robin of Gilwell 'Sir Robin'. I could have sworn that it was an award that he held, but I was honestly mistaken. I apologize if anyone, including Robin of Gilwell, was insulted, and I beg you to please use the title that you prefer to be called, to allow for less confusion amongst the rest of us.

And, folks, please don't be insulted and send a list of titles if
someone does happen to use the name that /you/ listed at the bottom of /your/ e-mail. This is a hobby,
and if we all went around OPing each others titles, we wouldn't have
time for anything else. :P

Last, I haven't insulted Don Robin's wife, although both he and his wife have insulted me many times. Even if I had insulted them, I'm pretty sure the chivalric response to an insult wouldn't involve 'punching someone in the face'. Anyway, my point is that I haven't intentionally insulted them, and they have intentionally insulted me. It sucks. Move on. I don't see that it involves anyone else, anyway, and I prefer not to hold grudges. (That whole explode-y head thing.)

Any other questions?

-Rose the Obnoxious
who prefers to be called... (( drumroll ))
Rose the Obnoxious

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy marshmallows, which is kind of the same thing.