[Ansteorra] On the matter of bardic at Steppes Warlord

Svan Coldbrowskaldsson ldsvan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 14:13:40 PDT 2010

Greetings One and all ,
    This weekend I again had the pleasure of competing in the bardic at
Steppes Warlord. Yet again, I was highly impressed with the outstanding
performances that our kingdom's bards brought to this most historic event.
The entrants where:

                     Lord Daniel de Tankard
                     Lord Manfred Von Hookenstein
                     Lord Ricard Valentinius Parvifeles
                     Honorable Lord Brian O'huilliam
                     Honorable Lady Magge Mac Pherson
                     Lord Ferdach mac Congail mec Ruaidri
                     Lord Gimli Svansson
                     Elen Elbery
                      and myself

 The guidlines for the competition I would say were most intriguing;
     1. A matter of the history of Britain, France or Rome (this could be
construed as the old legends or myths, and indeed some chose to interpret it
thus.)
     2. A matter of Ansteorran history
     3. Your favorite piece

  Those that attended were treated to excellent songs, tales and stories,
from ancient Society pieces to fresh originals that left the audience
breathless, heart pounding, or in remembrance of past days.
 There was no specific order for the performance, and I liked that as it
left listeners wondering what was to follow. And what followed brought this
old skald to misty eyes a few times. At this time I should mention that a
keg of fine beer had been brought to encourage the bards and audience.  For
this I was most grateful, for the bards around the circle were grand and I
needed the encouragement thusly.

  The final round consisted of 4 this year;
                     Lord Ricard Valentinius Parvifeles
                     Honorable Lady Magge Mac Pherson
                     Lord Ferdach mac Congail mec Ruaidri
                     and myself

   If earlier the tales were grand, then now was greatness shown on this
bardic field--and I was last to go in the finals to follow it.  Did I say
thank you oh bringer of the keg?  I have judged many competitions in my
career as Skald, and glad I was not to judge this one.

    While the judges were doing what judges do, bards did entertain those
awaiting words.  I would thank Master Cadfan for his skill here, though he
was not the only soul who gave of his eve to help fill the breaks. The
judges returned and thus I, the new Bard of the Steppes, do bring you word.

Honorable Lord Svan Koldbrowskaldsson