[Ansteorra] OT: Volunteer Opportunity in July, Help Needed

Dana Busenbark danab-steppes at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 2 17:32:51 PDT 2010

I am helping to spearhead an event called Losing the Training Wheels for children with Down Syndrome here at UTD July 5-9th. We're having problems finding people here for the summer, due to classes that can come and help us as a volunteer to help these children learn to ride a bike without training wheels. You would need to be there M-F at the timeframe that you have signed up for.

We also need someone who can help to adjust the bicycles to each child. Raise and lower seats, etc. on each of the bicycles. Please let me know if you can help!

The time frames we still need help at are:

12:30 pm – 1:45 pm

2:00 pm – 3:15 pm

3:30 pm – 4:45 pm

When: Monday, July 5 – Friday, July 9, 2010

Where:

University of Texas- Dallas

Student Activities Center

800 W. Campbell Rd. AB10

Richardson, TX 75080

The Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas is proud to announce that we are bringing Losing the Training Wheels ™ back to Dallas this summer.   The program provides an opportunity for your child/adult (age 10 and up) to master a life long activity—riding a bicycle.  Lose the Training Wheels ™ is a specialized bicycle camp that teaches children/adults with intellectual and/or physical disabilities how to ride regular bicycles without training wheels. Participants start on stable, roller-wheeled bikes and progress to increasingly less stable bikes.  By the week’s end, the majority of the participants are on regular bikes without any support.

Each participant will have an individual trainer guide them through the five day camp.  Participants will attend camp for 75 minutes each day. Participants will attend each day during the same time period.  Participants must furnish their own bicycle helmets.

Lose the Training Wheels ™ has successfully helped children with numerous challenges or disabilities.  More information is available on the Lose the Training Wheels ™ website www.losethetrainingwheels.org.

Registration materials will be available on the Down Syndrome Guild’s website at www.downsyndromedallas.org beginning June 1st. Complete the forms and return with payment in full to our office.  Space availability is on a first come, first serve basis. Your payment is your reserved spot.  There are no refunds unless there is a waiting list for your participant’s particular session.  If you have additional questions, or need a registration packet mailed to you, please contact Becky Slakman at 214-267-1374 or dsged at sbcglobal.net.