[Ansteorra] FYI (NON SCA) medieval/Renn Jamboree on June 12th near Elgin TX (FREE)

Scott Keyes arthurthedented at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 5 04:10:58 PDT 2010

directions  are at http://sherwoodforestfaire.com/directions.htm
the site is pretty accessible  for Houston,San Antonio, BC/College Station and of course, Austin.

Even though its on the *site* of the Sherwood Renn Faire, this event is *not* a RennFaire .. the management of the Sherwood faire regularly hold a sort of 'party of renn/medieval inclined folks'.. preceded by a workday for folk who want to stake out and improve a group campsite for the coming years festival. That part is in the morning.

The fun part starts at 3pm.. I checked with the Entertainment director and  there wouldnt be a problem with fencers fencing or fighters fighting if they are inclined. Certainly theres a nice Eric already set up for it :)

They may also have their archery range open to all comers under the faires  own rangemaster of course. (no firearms at all, even period ones permitted on site..and I'm going to guess that extends to any pyrotechnics too)

Musicians especially are also welcome.. and this is a great chance to air out those songs and instruments that arent *quite* right for the SCA... drum circles and dancing are certain to be happening.

Its a party so .. jeans and t-shirts are fine, Garb is also fine or anything in between.

the potluck dinner is traditional TX BBQ sorts of foods generally ..but despite the fact theres always been more than plenty to eat and drink evey other time I've been there I'm sure they'd be happy for whatever you might be inclined to bring.  There are likely to be a few more of these before the faire itself opens again in the spring of 2011..but this one is upon us, and LOOKS like its on a relatively convenient date.

The last one of these I was at, was attended by a few hundred folks and was ... the dedication of the stone circle. A good party not to miss , and a great opportunity .

Scott
AKA Arthur The Dented

(actual announcement is below)
SWFF Volunteer Work Day & Gathering
Type:
Other - Festival
Start Time:
Saturday, June 12, 2010 at 10:00am
End Time:
Sunday, June 13, 2010 at 2:00am
Location:
Sherwood Forest Faire
Street:
1883 Old Hwy 20
City/Town:
McDade, TX
View Map
Description
Though the Faire has concluded for 2010, our community is much alive and yearning to come together...thus, we are announcing the date of our next Gathering within Sherwood.

There is no charge for this event.

When: Saturday, June 12th, 2010 10am onward
Where: Sherwood Forest Faire grounds

10am-3pm - Volunteer work day (picking up limbs, removing stumps, leveling pathways. Clans may improve their campsites)

3pm - Work ends, gathering begins!

6pm - Dinner. Pot Luck. Bring a covered dish to share.

After dinner - Music, Stage performances

10pm - Drumming at the Seven Sisters

Campgrounds will be open for campers

Day Trippers park in parking lot by the front gate (off of old highway 20)

What to bring: food to share, lawn chairs, musical instruments, outdoor games, suntan lotion and insect repellent. We will have a limited amount of beer to share so BYOB for when that runs out.

If you would like to perform for us in the evening, please get in touch with our Director of Entertainment, Zane Baker at entertainment at sherwoodforestfaire.com

Bring your family and friends!