[Ansteorra] Sekanjabin recipe

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 8 00:47:27 PDT 2010

On Jun 8, 2010, at 12:41 AM, Cody Chezem wrote:

> Has anyone substituted honey for the sugar?
>
> Centurion Thorvald

Yes.

In fact, the fourth message in the Florilegium jalabs-msg file, which I mentioned earlier, specifically talks about replacing the sugar with honey. The original recipe that Cariadoc quotes appears to offer the option of honey, but it looks like His Grace chose to use only sugar.

Also remember that this would be cane sugar. Beet sugar is an 18th century invention. And I believe corn syrup is 20th C.

<<<
From: bloch at thor.ucsd.edu (Steve Bloch)
Date: 4 Jan 91 01:53:52 GMT

Several recipes appear in Cariadoc's _Miscellany_, which I have not
before me.  One is taken from Claudia Roden's book of Middle-Eastern
cookery (in print, not too hard to find), and calls for water,
vinegar, sugar, and mint.  There are also one or two 13th-century
Andalusian recipes quoted there, omitting the mint (which is so
essential to the flavor as most of us are accustomed to it that
leaving it out borders on heresy.  And the mint IS documentable to the
10th century or so, just not with enough specificity to make a
recipe.)

I have tried these recipes, fiddled with them, and much prefer the
following, which uses honey rather than sugar:

Dissolve 1-1/2 cups of honey in 1 cup of water.  Bring to a boil, then
add 1/2 cup of vinegar and simmer for half an hour or more.  After
removing from the heat, add a good-sized handful of mint leaves.  Let
stand until you want to drink it (I have no idea how long it takes for
the mint to express!), at which time the mint should be strained out
and the syrup diluted by about 7 times as much water (10 is for
wimps).  Delicious either hot (while shivering around a campfire) or
cool (at a feast, or coming off the battlefield).  And the syrup
keeps unrefrigerated for months, because of the vinegar.

The honey should have some flavor (clover is for wimps) but not too
much (desert sage honey completely overwhelms the mint, and the
drinker).  Likewise the vinegar: white vinegar will simply be sour,
balsamic would be weird, and either cider or wine is ideal.  You can
use dried mint, but fresh is much better, and you probably have some
growing as a weed in your back yard.

Note: I used to add the mint at the same time as the vinegar, before
simmering, and was chastised for this insensitivity by an Iraqi
gentleman to whom I served it ("Very good, but the spices aren't
right.  He burned the mint.")

Note also: various people of this Barony have discovered sekanjabin
syrup (a sugar version) for sale in 24-ounce bottles in Middle-
Eastern grocery stores.

As Cariadoc will no doubt point out, sekanjabin is merely the most
popular (in the SCA) of dozens or hundreds of similar drinks from al-Andalus.  Others call for lemon, or pomegranate, or a variety of
roots and herbs, and I have made an excellent drink syrup from
rhubarb (but cannot document it).
--
Stephen Bloch
Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib

In the next message, Cariadoc explains where he came up with his particular version:
<<<